Thursday, August 1, 2013

Seriously???

Today I was at the pharmacy buying prescriptions when my debit card was declined.  I couldn't imagine what was wrong because I should have had plenty of money in the bank and I also have an overdraft account.  Well, after going to the bank, researching it online and looking through statements, I realized that not only had a merchant billed my account for $588 instead of $49, but my last paycheck had not posted to my account and now the bill that wasn't going to be paid was my mortgage payment.  I spent all afternoon on the phone trying to get things worked out.  It's still not resolved.  So, what did I do?
I sat down with a big bowl of ice cream and ate the whole thing.  Then I started thinking about how if I can't even handle something as simple as a mix up in my bank account, how am I going to handle going back to work, which I am planning on doing week after next.  I became more and more depressed until all I could think about was dying.  I cried and wished I were dead.
I was about to go to bed at 5:30pm, but decided to do some yoga instead.  After a few minutes of Yoga, I was calmed down and thinking more clearly.  I realized that if/when I get stressed out with work, I just need to step back and focus on something else for a while.
If someone else were telling me that I can't do it and that they wished I would die, I would just walk out of the room, so why not do that with myself.  I can't really leave my mind in another room, but I can get it focused on something else so I don't have to listen to that kind of thinking.  Turned out to be a very enlightening experience.  Just because those thoughts of failure, death, and discouragement come into my head doesn't mean that I have to entertain them!

No comments:

Post a Comment